Current Funding Initiatives

WHY YOUR SUPPORT MATTERS
Your support matters because approximately 85% of the City’s budget for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department goes towards salaries and benefits, leaving just 15% to provide essential equipment, new technology, and training programs. These budget constraints create funding gaps for equipment needed for everyday incidents, to resources for specialty units, like the Urban Search & Rescue, Air Operations, and Youth Development Programs.

We work with SDFD leadership to identify unmet needs and provide a means for the community to help. Funds raised help provide our fire-rescue personnel with the necessary items they need to remain better protected and prepared. And the better prepared they are, the better protected we are. Learn more about the impact your donations make in our community.

LARGE ANIMAL RESCUE EQUIPMENT
Members of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department (SDFD) Technical Rescue Team (TRT) urgently need specialized equipment to rescue horses in emergency and potentially life-threatening situations. San Diego’s TRT is frequently called upon to rescue hikers, bikers, and horseback riders from dangerous conditions. While people can be carried or airlifted from a trail or canyon, a rescue involving a large animal, such as a horse, involves an entirely different level of risk for both the rescuer and the animal. Often, when a horse is injured, so is the rider. That means multiple rescues happening simultaneously, each patient with different medical needs requiring their own rescue team.

image of a horse manikin and four rescue personnel
firefighters using chainsaws

CHAINSAW BARS, TOOLS & PROTECTIVE CHAPS
(40 Sets Needed)
When seconds count, having the right equipment can be the difference between life and death. Rescue chainsaws are specifically designed for fire-rescue personnel who use them to access trouble spots and provide ventilation at structure fires. Wildland/brush fire chainsaws and protective chaps are needed when cutting brush and vegetation. Using the wrong equipment can lead to serious injury and even death. There is an immediate need to replace chainsaw blades, sharpening tools, and add more protective chaps for SDFD Type-1 Engines.

MSA ALTAIR 4X MULTI-GAS DETECTORS
(50 Detectors Needed)
A multi-gas detector is a device that detects multiple potentially harmful gases and alerts those nearby with an alarm, light or a combination of both. Firefighters use these to monitor the environment and ensure firefighters and civilians’ safety while responding to calls. They can be used to monitor oxygen levels, gas leaks, and even colorless and odorless gasses like carbon monoxide.

picture of multi-gas detectors

OTHER FUNDING NEEDS INCLUDE:

  • Paratech vehicle extrication airbags for all truck companies
  • SCBA & Helmet Unit ID Tags
  • “Shark Navigator”
  • Equipment for Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)
  • Water Rescue PPE for shore-based water rescues (263 sets needed)
  • Community Education Program support
  • Girls Empowerment Camp
  • Women’s Fire Prep Academy
  • SDFD Cadet Program

Your gifts ensure safety and protection for our region and our fire-rescue personnel. We cannot do what we do without your support. We invite you to join us today as a community partner in making San Diego and the surrounding region safer for our fire-rescue personnel and our residents with a tax-deductible gift of support.