Frequently Asked Questions
2018 LOCATION & DETAILS COMING SOON!
WHAT ABOUT PARKING?
Plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time to find parking. Limited on-site parking is available.
HOW MUCH IS DONATED TO THE SAN DIEGO FIRE RESCUE FOUNDATION?
Because the San Diego Fire Rescue Foundation is producing the event, 100% of the net proceeds and 100% of direct donations go directly to the Foundation to support their mission of providing enhanced equipment, training, technology, and community education resources to support the SDFD.
CAN I REGISTER ON-SITE?
If spots are available you may register on the morning of the event. Please note the dates for registration fee increases for the 5K.
CAN I TRANSFER MY REGISTRATION?
- Transfer to another person on Active.com until September 30, 2018.
- Transferring participants are 100% responsible for any Active.com fees or price differences.
- The transfer of registration fees already paid to the event are the responsibility of the parties’ involved in the transfer.
CAN I GET A REFUND?
While our transfer policy is very easy, we have a strict no refund policy.
WHERE/WHEN CAN I CHECK-IN?
**On-site packet/bib pick-up begins at 6:30am. No packets/bibs will be mailed**
You can check-in on-site starting at 6:30am. Remember your registration and ID for check-in. For stress-free parking and check-in, arrive at least 1 hour prior to the start. There are plenty of pre-race things to do and see.
If you arrive less than 15 minutes before the start, we cannot guarantee your participation. No late starts are allowed due to permitting, safety, and traffic planning of course closures.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING TO REGISTRATION?
Bring your registration confirmation and ID. The name on your registration must match the name on the ID. Children without an ID must check-in with their parent or guardian. First responders must bring valid fire, lifeguard, medic, law enforcement or military ID. Your bib number is required to enter the start area.
WHAT IS INCLUDED WITH MY ENTRY FEE?
The following is included with your 5K or Kids 1-Mile Run entry fee:
- Short-sleeve, top-quality technical fabric race shirt
- High-quality drawstring race bag
- Professional “chip” timing
- Water stations, entertainment and support along the course
- Custom finisher medal
- Complimentary pancake breakfast for all registered runners
- Access to the fire safety expo and beer garden (21+)
- The satisfaction of supporting our world-class first responders!
Sparky Sprint registered runners receive a kids race shirt, finishers medal and a complimentary pancake breakfast.
Spectators can join us for the pancake breakfast with a suggested $5 donation per person.
DO YOU HAVE AWARDS?
We have a lot of award categories.
- Overall Winner: First male and first female across the finish line
- Age Group: Top 3 male and female finishers in each category (5K only)
- 10-14 | 15-19 | 20-24 | 25-29 | 30-34 | 35-39 | 40-44 | 45-49 | 50-55 | 55+
- 5K Stroller: First male and first female across the finish line who are pushing a stroller.
- Public Safety: First male and first public safety runner across the finish line
Must be present at the awards ceremony to receive your award. Sorry, we cannot mail awards.
WHERE DO I LINE UP AT THE START LINE?
At the Start area, you find a host of signs along the corral with different running paces. Enter the corral labeled with your predicted pace. If you are running or walking the course as a group, enter the corral with the label of the pace of the slowest person in your group. The paces are:
- < 9min/mile: Runners
- 9-10min/mile: Runners
- 10-11min/mile: Runners
- 11-12min/mile: Runners
HOW FAST DO I HAVE TO BE?
5K (3.1 miles) participants must maintain a pace of at least 25 minutes per mile. This is faster than a leisurely stroll, it’s a brisk walk…let’s see some sweat!
I DON’T KNOW MY RUNNING/WALKING PACE?
One person’s fast is another person’s slow. If you don’t know your pace per mile, here’s a rough description of running/jogging/walking paces.
- < 9min/mile: You’re fast. You know your pace
- 9-10min/mile: Quick. You consider yourself a runner more than a jogger
- 10-12min/mile: Cruisin’. You consider yourself a jogger more than a runner
- Run/Walk: Mix in walking with your running/jogging
- Walk: Plan on a brisk walk throughout with little or no jogging
IS THERE AN AGE REQUIREMENT/LIMIT?
Fitness is important at every age and you can participate as long as you can cover the distance on your own. All runners, joggers, and walkers need a bib to participate. Children in strollers do not need to register but only the registered participant will receive a bag, medal, and t-shirt.
Participants under the age of 18 who do not have their own picture ID must check-in with a parent/guardian to participate.
CAN I PARTICIPATE WITH A MEDICAL CONDITION OR WHILE PREGNANT?
Medical advice is best left to your personal or family doctor. Check with them if you are unsure if you should participate.
WHAT IF IT RAINS?
San Diego Fire Rescue 5K & Kids Run is a “rain or shine event.” However, Mother Nature sometimes has her own plans. Please wear weather-appropriate clothing. If the weather is severe (i.e. lighting, hurricane, etc.) the event may be delayed or canceled for safety.
CAN FRIENDS & FAMILY COME TO WATCH?
IS THERE DRINKING WATER ON-COURSE?
There is an aid station with water around mile 1 and another around mile 2. Additional water will be available at the Start & Finish lines and at the pancake breakfast.
WHAT SAFETY MEASURES ARE TAKEN?
Firefighters, Paramedics, and EMTs are on site in case an emergency arises and there will also be plenty of security and race staff.
CAN I BRING MY DOG?
DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON-COURSE OR IN THE BEER GARDEN.
We love our dogs and run with them often. However, with hundreds of people in attendance, it’s not a good place for dogs. Dogs brought into expo area must be in the presence of the owner and on-leash at all times. Dog owners assume all responsibility for the behavior including clean up and any injuries caused by their dog. Misbehaving dogs will be asked to leave the venue if they are inhibiting the enjoyment of others.
CAN I TAKE PHOTOS DURING THE RUN?
Please snap responsibly, no one likes a shady paparazzi. The San Diego Fire Rescue 5K & Kids Run will have professional photographers on the course. You’ll get an email from us as soon as they’re ready for review.